Plumber Email Marketing Best Practices To Generate Leads
We’re all familiar with those dreaded emails that flood our inbox and inevitably end up in the “unsubscribe list.” It’s a business owner’s worst nightmare to be a nuisance to their customers, but when email marketing is done right, you could be the company that your customers look forward to hearing from. There's no shortage of email marketing statistics that make one thing clear: email is a reliable platform with opportunities not only for generating more leads but for gaining trust and establishing relationships with current clients as well.
With the right email list, content, email frequency, and testing, the payoff can be well worth it. But absent a plan, you could end up doing more harm than good. Don’t fret just yet, we’ve got some great plumber email marketing tips to get you on the right track for plumber email marketing best practices to grow your business!
Determine What Role Email Marketing Will Have in Your Comprehensive Marketing Plan
It’s important to first establish your goal for email marketing. Are you trying to nurture and inform current customers to ensure you remain their go-to plumbing company for maintenance and other plumbing projects? Maybe you’re just trying to bring in new leads or balance the workflow of your company during the slow season. Whatever your business goal is, it’s beneficial to understand the main purpose of email marketing and how it can increase your plumbing leads.
There are 3 Goals of Email Marketing
- Increase Delivery Rates. Get the email into their inbox successfully.
- Increase Open Rates. Get them to open the email.
- Increase Click-Through Rates. Get them to take the action you want from the email.
Once you set your goal and have an email marketing strategy, whether that’s having a consistent email newsletter campaign schedule or holiday discount email, it’s important to track these data points so that you can determine how well you are doing in getting emails to the right people and getting them to open them and take the action you want.
So let’s walk through exactly how you do that…
Increase Delivery Rates by Cleaning Your Email List
The delivery rate is simply the percentage of instances your email was successfully delivered to the intended recipient. For example, if you sent an email to 100 customers and 10 of them bounced back and 5 of them marked your email as spam, your delivery rate would be 85%.
Important Tip: If your delivery rate is low, email providers may flag your account as spam, meaning virtually none of your emails will reach their desired recipients.
Here are our top tips for ensuring you always have a solid list of email recipients:
- Ensure your list has up-to-date, accurate email addresses
- Ensure your list has up-to-date, accurate email addresses
- Run your list through an email validation tool
- Remove inactive subscribers
- Remove duplicates
- Remove hard bounced email addresses
Once you have your email list set up for success, it’s time to think about how you are going to make sure they engage with them instead of just marking them spam and moving on.
Increase Open Rates Through Your Email Settings
Often overlooked by novice email marketers, the settings you apply to your emails can have a huge impact on their success. No matter which email software you use, you’ll have the ability to alter those settings. Here are the main things you should focus on:
- Optimize for mobile. With 55% of emails being opened on mobile devices, ensuring your emails are up to current standards is imperative if you want to see effective results.
- Set delivery day/time for optimal engagement. Figuring out what time people check their email is important because sending your email at that time will simply give it a better chance of being seen. Generally speaking, the highest click-to-open rates are at 10 A.M. at 21% and 1 P.M. at 22%.
Increase Open Rates by Improving Subject Lines
Since people receive about 121 business emails daily on average, it’s even more crucial to ensure your subject line is compelling enough to click on. Subject lines play a huge part in whether or not an email is actually viewed, and with such high competition, it’s not something you want to overlook.
- Personalize your subject lines. This could be as simple as including your recipient's name or location. On average, personalized subject lines lead to a 22.2% higher open rate than generic subject lines.
- Use 1 emoji in your subject line. This may seem silly, but emojis offer emotive story-telling in a way words cannot in a brief subject line. Plus, 56% of brands using emojis in their subject lines experienced higher open rates.
- Offer value in 7 words or less. Let your clients know you’re looking to benefit their life and are offering them an opportunity, like saving them money for example. Just be brief about it as it results in higher click-through rates.
- Use tools to get your subject line graded. After you’ve put all the work into crafting a spectacular subject line, put it to the test with a subject line grader and see where you’ve landed. Don’t settle on anything less than an A!
- Be strategic about your preview text. Your preview text is the short text users see before they click on an email. They’re usually between 35-90 characters long. It’s best to concisely describe what your offer is, why it’s valuable, and how to get it using action words. When done properly, preview text can increase click-through rates by 30%.
Increase Click Through Rates with Great Email Copy & Formatting
As you can probably guess, data has consistently proven that creating compelling, relevant, and informative content is essential if you want to see success with your email campaigns (and really any marketing for your plumbing company).
So what makes the above email great? Let’s dive into the key ingredients:
- Use a single call to action. Your CTA lets them know what you want them to do, whether it’s visiting your page, giving you a call, or filling out a form. Emails with a single CTA experienced a 371% higher click-through rate than those with multiple CTAs.
- Personalize your emails. Personalization builds trust with customers that you are the right choice for their plumbing service needs. In fact, 74% of customers become frustrated when their email communication experience isn’t personalized.
- Make emails short and easy to read. Let your clients know you’re looking to benefit their life and are offering them an opportunity, like saving them money for example. Just be brief about it as it results in higher click-through rates. Layering your content with headings, subheadings, and bullet points makes it easier for your audience to skim and find what you want them to do quickly.
What Email Campaigns Should My Plumbing Company Run?
So now that you have the basics down, how can you put those into practice? Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered. We’ve compiled a list of the most effective email marketing campaigns run by our plumbing customers.
This simple guide will walk you through the exact campaigns you’ll want to run, as well as give you real examples of how to format them so that they make it to your recipients, they open them consistently and end up doing more business with you.
- Building a Great Plumber Marketing Plan
- Mastering Local SEO for Plumbing Companies
- How To Make Your Plumbing Website A Conversion Machine