HVAC Email Marketing Best Practices To Generate Leads
Updated on January 19, 2023
In the past, most marketing efforts for HVAC businesses focused on print ads, word-of-mouth referrals, and television commercials.
While these methods can still be effective, email marketing is quickly becoming one of the most important tools for generating leads. However, with 1 in 4 small businesses not implementing email marketing, many companies are missing out on the benefits it provides.
With email marketing, you can reach a large audience without burning through your budget or time; and it’s easy to track the results of your email campaigns, so you can quickly identify what’s working and what’s not.
In this article, we'll give you tips on how to determine what role email marketing will play in your business and the best practices for email marketing in the HVAC industry. We'll also cover how to optimize your email metrics, such as bounce rates, open rates, and deliverability—the biggest challenge most small businesses have with email marketing.
So whether you're just starting out with email marketing or you're looking for new techniques to improve your results, read on!
Determine What Role Email Marketing Will Play in Your Marketing Strategy
Successful email marketing can be used as a tool to reach out to your customers and keep them updated on current specials. It’s also a great way to practice remarketing, by sending emails to customers who have shown interest in your product or service in the past.
After you determine what role you want email marketing to play for your HVAC business, email marketing can generate new leads when sending out targeted emails to potential customers.
If you want to increase brand awareness, for example, you'll want to focus on building a list of subscribers and emailing them regularly. If you want to generate more leads, on the other hand, you'll want to focus on emailing targeted lists of potential customers.
CLEAN YOUR EMAIL LIST TO INCREASE DELIVERY RATES
One of the most important aspects of HVAC email marketing is maintaining a clean email list.
A clean email list is one that is up-to-date and free of bounced, invalid, and unengaged addresses. Though it may seem like a daunting task, there are a few simple steps you can take to clean your email list and improve your delivery rates:
- Start by identifying and removing any bounced or invalid addresses on your list. These are addresses that no longer exist or that have been returned as undeliverable.
- Next, take a look at your engagement metrics to identify any unengaged subscribers to remove. These are people who haven't opened or clicked on your emails in a long time.
- Finally, make sure that you're regularly updating your email list with new subscribers. This will help to keep your list clean and ensure that you're always getting the most out of your email marketing strategy.
IMPROVE OPEN RATES THROUGH EMAIL SETTINGS
Email is still one of the most effective ways to reach your audience, but only if you can get them to open your messages. Fortunately, there are a few simple strategies you can use to improve your open rates.
With 66% of consumers researching small businesses using their smartphones, it’s imperative that you optimize your marketing efforts for mobile devices—this includes email marketing! Failing to optimize your emails for mobile will essentially cut your marketing efforts off at the knees.
You should also take care to avoid using excessively large attachments or images, as these can cause emails to load slowly or not at all on some devices. Keep in mind that mobile users often have different needs than desktop users, so be sure to tailor your content accordingly.
Timing is everything when it comes to HVAC email marketing—the best time to send an email is when your subscribers are most likely to be engaged.
That means sending emails at a time when they're likely to be checking their inboxes and have the time to read through your message. For most people, sending emails during the workweek and during business hours will be your best bet.
However, there are exceptions. If your subscribers are mainly students or stay-at-home parents, for example, you'll want to send your emails on days and at times when they're more likely to be free.
Testing different delivery days and times is the best way to determine when your subscribers are most engaged. Once you've found the best time for open rates, stick to it as much as possible. Consistency is key when it comes to email marketing.
INCREASE OPEN RATES BY IMPROVING SUBJECT LINES
The subject line of an email is one of the most important elements in determining whether or not someone will open it.
If you're like most people, your inbox is crammed full of emails from companies trying to sell you something. As a business, it can be hard to get your message noticed. One way to stand out from the crowd is to improve the subject lines of your email marketing campaigns.
A good subject line should be short, attention-grabbing, and relevant to the content of the email. It should also avoid using common phrases like "please read" or "important announcement."
By following these simple tips, you can make sure that your emails are more likely to be opened and read by potential customers:
- Personalize your subject lines. This is achieved by adding the recipient's name or other information that would make the email feel more personal.
- Consider using a single emoji in your subject line. Emojis can help to add personality to your subject line and make it more eye-catching.
- Offer value in 7 words or less. Your subject line should be clear and to the point, offering value to the reader in a concise way.
- Use tools to get your subject line graded. There are various tools available that can help you grade your subject line and give you suggestions for improvement.
- Be strategic about your preview text. The preview text is the small amount of text that appears beneath your subject line in most inboxes. Make sure that your preview text is interesting and furthers the goals of your email campaign.
By following these tips, you can increase your open rates and improve the overall open rates and potentially generate more HVAC leads!
INCREASE CLICK-THROUGH RATES WITH EXCELLENT EMAIL COPY & FORMATTING
As a business owner, you know that email marketing is a great way to reach out to potential customers and promote your products or services.
However, it is not enough to simply send out mass emails—you also need to make sure that your email copy and formatting are high-quality in order to increase click-through rates.
Excellent email copy will grab the reader's attention and persuade them to click on your links, while proper formatting will ensure that your email looks professional and is easy to read.
By taking the time to create well-crafted email copy and ensuring that your emails are beautifully formatted, you will be more likely to see a boost in click-through rates and ultimately generate more business.
Here are a few tips to help you increase click-through rates with great email copy and formatting:
- Use a single call to action. Don't try to cram too much into one email. Keep the focus narrow and include a single, clear call to action. This will make it easier for people to digest your message and take action.
- Personalize your emails. People are more likely to engage with an email that feels relevant and personal. So, make sure to include personalized content that speaks to the specific needs of your audience.
- Make emails short and easy to read. No one wants to wade through a long, rambling email. Keep your messages concise and easy to skim so that people can quickly get the information they need and take action.
By following these tips, you can create email campaigns that are more likely to get results. So, start crafting great copy and format your emails for maximum impact!
What Email Campaigns Should My HVAC Company Run?
As a small business, you probably don’t have unlimited resources to run a ton of different email campaigns out of the gate. That means you need to be selective about what email types you send.
The best way to decide where to start is by considering the engagement level for different types of email campaigns. We found that promotional emails and new product announcements tend to have high levels of engagement, so that may be where you want to start.
Using Email to Generate Google Reviews
As a small business, you might already know how important Google reviews are to growing your customer base affordably and efficiently. What you may not know, however, is that email can be a great resource for generating those reviews.
71% of consumers reported they are likely to leave a review if businesses made it easy to do so, and with email you can do just that! Using email, you can easily provide a direct link to your Google review page—making reviewing your business easier than ever.
Ultimately, there is no right or wrong answer for where to start with email marketing. Keep these ideas in mind when brainstorming the types of email campaigns you might want to send out for your HVAC business:
- Offer a seasonal promotion. You could offer a discount on air conditioning tune-ups in the spring or furnace cleanings in the fall. This is a great way to encourage customers to use your services at the start of the season—when they're likely to need them the most.
- Send out a newsletter. This can focus on anything from tips on how to save money on HVAC costs to preventative maintenance tips. With 28% of consumers engaging with newsletters, this can certainly be a strong place to start.
- Announce new products or services. Your customers want to know what you are doing to improve your services for their benefit, and these emails can help get that information to them.
For a specialized guide on effective email campaigns for HVAC including formatting examples and a walk-through on how to write specific email campaigns tailored to HVAC customers, download our guide!
By crafting engaging and targeted email campaigns, HVAC companies can reach a wide audience of potential customers. Identifying your audience and setting goals to increase open rates, delivery rates, and click-through rates is a fantastic start to upping your email marketing strategy for your HVAC campaigns.
By following these tips, you can create email marketing campaigns that will generate leads and produce amazing results.
- How to Grow Your HVAC Company with Facebook Ads
- How Your HVAC Company Can Dominate SEO
- How to Build an HVAC Website that Converts